Mac’s garage was originally founded as a service station in 1932 by Mac McBurney. Mac built the business in Kirkland on what is now the property of the Shinstrom and Norman Insurance Agency located at 525 Kirkland Way. MAC is named after its founder who started the towing business with a winch attached to the rear of a Buick truck. In 1940, MAC’s first garage was built and in a few years began to expand. In 1941, they purchased a Ford wrecker and began their real devotion to the towing industry.
In 1968, Paul Shannon purchased the company and changed the name to simply “MAC Towing”. With intentions of expanding the service area and becoming a major provider of towing, he bought “Rudy Towing” In 1985 and the company began to grow in to in the Bothell and Woodinville area, Soon after, “Redmond Towing” was purchased, which quickly expanded MAC Towing into the Redmond area, becoming one of the largest towing providers on the eastside.
After much consideration, Paul decided to retire and sold the business to Terry Petter in March/1997. Prior to purchasing MAC, Terry owned and operated Bel-Kirk Towing and thus the business continued to grow. Terry’s focus for the company was education and customer service. With career oriented tow operators and a skilled dispatch staff, MAC Towing was taking towing to a new and professional level.
On March 1, 2007, Dan Wells became the 4th owner of MAC Towing. Dan’s goals were to continue educating Tow operators and staff, to maintain its reputation for being an honest, hard-working, customer service oriented business. Dan began work with MAC in 2000, washing and maintaining trucks on the weekends and when he turned twenty-one, began his career in operating a tow truck. His drive and ambition to learn has worked very well for MAC Towing, as Dan operates all MAC’s equipment, he continues to educate others and keep MAC moving forward in all its endeavors.
After nearly 85 years, MAC Towing is still proudly serving the eastside.